Recommended Devices for BYOD
Being successful with a BYOD program also means recommending appropriate devices. There are many great devices out there. Each has their own strengths and draw backs. Here is what we believe will have the most positive impact with our students in the classroom.
Recommended Devices for BYOD:
This is the recommended device for students here at Namao School. There are many Chromebooks available today. They all share the benefit of being quick to log on, easy to maintain, and can run all day.
Recommended Model and Store
We have partnered with BCOMM in North Edmonton to bring you a really great deal if you decide to go with a Chromebook. The model is a Lenovo N22. Here are the specs:
- o Lenovo N22 11.6”, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 16GB Storage
We cannot post the price publicly, but it is much better than competitor’s prices. If you are interested, please follow this link: https://www.b-com.ca/education
You will need to register and use the school access code (3n8D2rF4). They recommend you purchase online and pick up in store. They will also mail the package to you for cost using Canada Post.
Other Models include:
- Acer C740, 11.6” Screen Size, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 16GB Storage
- HP Chromebook 11, 11.6” Screen Size, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 16GB Storage
- Acer C810 13.3" NVIDA Tegra K1 CD570M-A1 Processor, 4GB, 16GB Storage
- Lenovo N42, 14.0” Screen Size, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 16GB Storage
- HP Chromebook 14, 14.0” Screen Size, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 16 GB Storage
- Lenovo N22, 11.6” Screen Size, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 16GB Storage
- Acer C738T, 11.6” Screen Size, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 16 GB Storage
- Lenovo N42, 14.0” Screen Size, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 16 GB Storage
There are many more models than listed here. These meet our recommendation, and are easily available in St. Albert or Edmonton. When considering a Chromebook or any technology it is important to try it out. Visit a store and type on the keyboard. Check out the screen and determine if you like it or need something else.
Other Devices that could work - The minimum requirement for a device is that it has a screen large enough to read on, 10" or more. It should connect easily to our WiFi at school and support 802.11N with WPS+ security. It can run all of Google's applications natively and have a full day of battery life. Real world experience is different than advertised battery life, so be careful with this one. It should say 8 hours or more of life just to make through our 6 hours day!
Please remember - The school wants this to be a positive experience for all children and families. If purchasing a device presents a real problem, please contact the school. We will work something out for everyone that is fair and appropriate. No one will be left out.